Radio Inspire

How To Learn Sign Language

Sign1News 7.4.19 – News for the Deaf community powered by CNN in American Sign Language (ASL).


Hello everyone. Welcome to Sign1News. I’m Candace Jones. Here are your top stories for today. Congratulations to Marlee Matlin! According to Deadline magazine, the Academy
award-winning actress is working with Disney-Plus on a new comedy series called “Life and Deaf”. The series is set in the 1970s and is based
on the life of Matlin’s longtime interpreter Jack Jason who grew up in the 70s as a child
of two Deaf parents (CODA). “Life and Deaf” was written by Lizzie Weiss. Weiss was the creator of the popular ABC Family series “Switched At Birth.” Right now “Life and Deaf”is still in development. No air date has been set yet. We will keep you posted. We have an update to a story we brought you
earlier this week. Julia Tomlin, the mother of two-year-old Noah
Tomlin, says she last saw him when she put him to bed at 1 AM on June 24. She reported him missing at 11:30 AM. Tomlin was arrested four days later and charged
with felony child neglect even though her son had not been found. Sadly last night police in Virginia say they
found the remains of a little boy they believed to be Noah. The body was found at a steam plant where
city waste goes to burn. Officers suspected the boy’s body was dumped
there and spent days sifting through about 2 million pounds of horrible smelling garbage
by hand. The remains were not incinerated. Now the medical examiner will examine the
remains for a formal identification. Once cause of death is determined, prosecutors
will determine whether more charges will be filed against Tomlin. We have another update to a controversial
story we brought you this week. Last month 27-year-old Marshae Jones got into
a fight with 23-year-old Ebony Jemison outside a Dollar General store in Alabama. Jemison pulled out a gun and shot Jones in
the stomach, killing her unborn child. Police say Jones started the fight and therefore
was responsible for her baby’s death, not Jemison. Charges were dropped against Jemison but Jones
was charged with manslaughter and could have served 20 years in prison. Late yesterday (Wednesday) prosecutors decided
to drop all charges against Jones. In a press conference, the lead prosecutor
said “This is truly a disturbing and heartbreaking case. Nothing, nothing, nothing we do today or in
the future will change that reality. There are no winners, only losers in this
sad deal.” There is growing outrage over a rape case
in New Jersey after the presiding judge said the accused teenage rapist deserved leniency
because he’s “from a good family.” The case stems from a 2017 incident where
the alleged attacker, identified in court papers is G.M.C. and the alleged victim identified
as “Mary” were both intoxicated. According to court documents, G.M.C.filmed
himself penetrating Mary from behind on his cell phone, displaying her bare torso and
her head hanging down. He forwarded the video clip to several friends
and later sent a text saying “When your first time having sex was rape.” The prosecutor argued G.M.C. had sex with
Mary while she was physically helpless and unable to provide consent and that G.M.C.’s
behavior was calculated and cruel. They wanted to charge G.M.C. as an adult. But Judge James Troiano denied the prosecution’s
request. Troiano said the incident wasn’t a “traditional
case of rape” because it did not involve two or more attackers or a weapon. He said G.M.C.’s text was just a 16-year-old
kid saying “stupid crap” to his friends. Troiano also dismissed Mary’s level of intoxication
and noted the boy was an Eagle Scout, saying: “This young man comes from a good family who
put him into an excellent school where he was doing extremely well. He is clearly a candidate for not just college
but probably for a good college.” Troiano also said trying G.M.C. is an adult
could ruin his life. The decision by Troiano was reversed last
month, allowing prosecutors to pursue an indictment against G.M.C. in adult court. Troiano has not commented on the decision. Taco Bell says that some restaurants across
the country are experiencing supplier shortages of tortillas. However of its 7,000 restaurants, company officials
are not saying how many are dealing with a shortage nor are they explaining why there
is a shortage. Frustrated customers are taking to social
media to complain about the limited menu. Tortillas are used for burritos and quesadillas. Taco Bell apologized for the inconvenience
and encouraged customers to order menu items that are not made from tortillas like the
Power Menu Bowl or Cheesy Gordita Crunch. According to CNN Business, other fast food
restaurants that use tortillas like Chipotle and Qdoba are not experiencing a tortilla
shortage. For those of you celebrating the Fourth of
July with fireworks, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is sending out this video
to warn people about the importance of fireworks safety. The agency put on a demonstration on the National
Mall in Washington DC. They want to show how quickly things can go
wrong when fireworks are not handled properly. New data reveals just over 9,000 fireworks-related
injuries were treated at emergency rooms in 2018. 60 percent of those injuries happened during
the months surrounding the 4th of July holiday, June 22 to July 22. Experts also say more than half of injuries
in small children were caused by sparklers. They say it only takes a split second for
toddlers to reach for the shiny, alluring flame of a sparkler and for things to go horribly
wrong. You can find a full list of safety tips online
at www.CPSC.gov. And those are your top stories for today. I’m Candace Jones. Thank you for watching Sign1News. Remember to follow us on all of her social
media platforms and be sure to download our app too. Sign1News. Your life. Your language.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *